The business was started by Edward Turner in 1897. The business later became E Turner & Sons Ltd including Edward’s nine sons.
In 1921, the business amalgamated with a grower cooperative to form Turners & Growers Ltd.
Turners Car Auctions Limited was separated from the Turners & Growers Group on 1st May 2002 and now reports as a separate public company.
On 31st December 2002 the Group acquired 100% of ENZA Limited.
The Group listed on the New Zealand Stock Exchange (NZX) on 29th September 2004.
Australasia’s largest diversified produce exporter DELICA Limited was formed in March 2007 by a collaboration between Turners and Growers and the DELICA Group.
Kerifresh Limited- a large mandarin and lemon orchard in Kerikeri was successfully acquired in March 2008.
German company BayWa, which has global investments across the building, energy and agriculture sectors, purchased 72.5 percent of T&G Global in 2012.
Two years later the company made significant acquisitions including Apollo Apples Limited (a Hawkes Bay based pipfruit grower, packer, coolstore operator and exporter) and opened an office in China to support the rapid growth of its business in Asia.
In 2014, the company officially re-branded becoming T&G Global to better reflect the global direction and focus of the business. The following year T&G Global acquired two tomato growing operations in New Zealand and sold its crate hire business, Fruit Case Company (FCC), to PACT Group Limited (Pact) in 2016. The sale was in line with T&G Global’s strategy of focusing on growing its core business of providing fresh produce to customers in markets around the world.
In 2016 T&G Global signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with Zespri confirming their intention to work together to create value for their respective growers and shareholders. Zespri Chairman Peter McBride and T&G Global Chairman Professor Klaus Josef Lutz signed the MOU at the international fresh produce industry trade show, Fruit Logistica, in Berlin.
1 Clemow Drive, Mt. Wellington, Auckland, New Zealand
Phone +64 9 573 8700, Fax +64 9 573 8879
PRINCIPAL OPERATING SUBSIDIARIES
- Turners & Growers Fresh Ltd – Fruit & Produce Wholesalers, Auctioneers and Distributors, Importers, Exporters, Transport operators and Prepackers. Major locations – 15 cities from Whangarei to Dunedin.
- Status Produce Limited – Glasshouse Tomato production and other covered crops. Packhouse operators. Located South Auckland, Mangere, Reporoa and Ohaupo.
- ENZAFruit New Zealand International Limited – Worldwide Pipfruit exporters and coolstore operators. Located primarily in Hastings, Nelson and Dunedin.
- Delica Limited – Produce sales and trading offices based in various markets around the world including Los Angeles, Shanghai, Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney, and Lima. Trading in all produce categories, with focus on asparagus, grapes, berries, citrus, cherries, and other stonefruit.
There were 551 shareholders on the register as at 7 August 2018. The Substantial Shareholders are:
- BayWa Aktiengesellschaft 90.671M = 73.99%
- Wo Yang Limited with 24.496 million shares = 19.99%
- The total number of shares on issue as at 7 August 2018 is 122,543,204.
Chairman Prof. K.J. Lutz
Non-Executive A. Helber, M.W. Liu, R.T. Priske
Independent R.J. Hewett, C.A Campbell