Turners & Growers Managing Director, Jeff Wesley says the takeover by BayWa Aktiengesellschaft will have significant benefits for New Zealand’s fresh produce industries.
Mr Wesley, who has announced his retirement from the company after 7 years, says the German company’s scale and market access, particularly across Europe, will be a boost for New Zealand exports.
“Turners & Growers is very fortunate to now have a controlling shareholder which recognises the value of New Zealand’s premium products and the opportunities to grow markets for them internationally.
Our reputation for product and marketing excellence is a great match for the global scale and reach of BayWa and this takeover represents the next chapter in Turners & Growers proud history.”
ABOUT TURNERS & GROWERS
- Sells approximately of $1 billion of fresh produce globally each year.
- 45 companies worldwide in the Turners & Growers Group including ENZA.
- New Zealand’s leading distributor, marketer and exporter of premium fresh produce
- The largest corporate horticulture investor in New Zealand.
- The largest grower of new apple varieties, hothouse tomatoes and citrus.
- Own the largest network of fresh produce markets in New Zealand facilitating more than 200 million kilograms of fresh fruit and vegetables every day.
- One of the largest operators of fruit cool stores and pack houses throughout New Zealand.
- Operates a specialized fresh produce transport fleet in New Zealand that travels more than 4 million kilometers every year.
- New Zealand’s largest apple exporter.
- Sells fruit in more than 60 countries.
- Grows apples in 12 countries.
- One of the world’s best known produce brands.
- Key supplier of fresh produce to 22 of the world’s top 25 retailers.
- Owns the rights to new global varieties including JAZZ™and ENVY™ apples and ENZARed™, ENZAGold™ and Summerkiwi Kiwifruit™.
- Merged with Turners & Growers in 2003 to create global growing and distribution network.
In 2007, Turners & Growers and Delica Group formed specialist produce exporting company, Delica Limited. The company is the largest diversified produce exporter in Australasia offering international customers a complete range of high quality fresh produce.